Thursday, June 14, 2007

How much should I do ?

Many times I have wondered how much should I work out with Abhi, so that I can make him better and reduce his difficulties. I have shared similar feelings with other mothers who have children with special needs. We want to give our children the best possible to make them near normal child. But in the run, the child should not be get stressed out or exhausted.

When I take my son out to park, social functions, gatherings etc, advises pour in abundance.
"I did that to my son, he got cured completely, now he is..."
"Do oil massage every day for 1 hour..."
"Send him for this and there will be difference in 15 days " and so on.

When I hear all these initially I used to get perplexed or feel guilty. Am I not doing enough for abhi. If I do that also, will it be beneficial.? But I found that I cannot do (or make him do) all these apart from his daily routines, reading/writing, school work etc etc. Worrying will only make me down and I feel dejected and irritated.

I slowly started to look in a different perspective. We are the best judge. I began to see from abhi's angle also. If he is comfortable or if he enjoys, we do that more - like cycling, paper cutting, working with clay and beads etc. Somethings I have to remind him often that it is good for him - like Physio therapy, Yoga etc.

More about Yoga, exercises and other activities in later posts...